Why would a small specialty tool manufacturer in Houston want to open a distributorship in Saudi Arabia, or a scientific software company in Indianapolis sell applications and training in France, or a producer of cosmetics market its products in Hong Kong? Businesses decide to expand internationally for many reasons, the main one being revenues. Many businesses believe that they can increase sales by selling internationally or charge high prices in foreign markets where competition isn’t so great as domestically. Website translation, international SEO and social media strategies are usually a first step.
Why Is Website Translation Important?
In many cases, companies decide to market internationally in response to intense competitive pressure in their existing markets. These companies see tremendous opportunities to make larger profits by selling their goods and services abroad. When an opportunity presents itself, companies must act quickly to capitalize on it. One way that companies exploit overseas opportunities is through strategic targeting, using the Internet, their website and social media.
How To Develop A Multilingual Website Strategy
To take advantage of overseas opportunities by way of the Internet, companies need strategic plans. Primarily, companies should determine the who, what, where, when and why.
- Who? Who is your target market and where are they located? You may have numerous target markets and they may cross regional, cultural and linguistic boundaries. To reach each market, your will need to communicate in the language of each country and in a culturally sensitive manner.
- What? Diverse markets may have diverse needs. A one-size-fits-all approach may not work in all markets. Since pinpointing the precise needs of every market may not be possible, you will need to use whatever tools are available.
- How? Not every country or nation uses Google, Facebook and Twitter. In China, the most popular search engine is Baidu and Facebook and Twitter are banned. However, the Chinese have substitutes. Perhaps, the most pressing issue is developing content that overcomes the language and cultural barriers. Translation services companies like 24 Hour Translation are skilled in producing quality, culturally sensitive translations. Once content is created, a company needs to implement an integrated marketing programs that includes social media, pay-per-click advertising, and blogging.
- When? A required component of every multilingual website translation strategy is continuous production of quality content. Your markets should find your content compelling, interesting and sharable. Companies must also respond quickly to inquiries in a multitude of forms, including e-mails, social media posts, tweets and comments. Producing and publishing new content should occur at regular intervals to keep your content fresh.
- How? Developing multilingual websites requires some technical understanding. At a very minimum, marketers should be familiar with the code on the attached infographic.